Is there a person on the planet who doesn’t like a crunchy, perfectly baked strawberry jam croissant? After all, what is not to like about this absolutely delicious and super easy-to-make breakfast delight? As a New Yorker, most of the days I have a busy schedule to keep up with, which means I don’t have much time for cooking. But once the weekend comes, the first thing I do is head towards Zomick’s bakery, and enjoy the mouthwatering flavor of Zomick’s challah strawberry jam croissants. So, for those of you out there who share my passion for food, here is the recipe for Zomick’s challah strawberry jam croissant.
- 675 g flour for bread + 1 tablespoon
- 75 g + 1 teaspoon sugar
- 14 g of dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 260 ml milk
- 100g melted butter
- Scraped lemon or orange zest
Jam by your choice (I chose strawberry)
For the coating:
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Powdered sugar
- Heat the milk on low heat; add yeast, sugar, and one teaspoon of flour. Stir well everything together and leave the mixture aside to rise.
- In a bigger bowl put flour, sugar, and one teaspoon of oil and stir well; add dissolved butter, lemon or orange zest, eggs, and the yeast mixture. Knead smooth dough from these ingredients. Shape the dough into a round shape, cover it with transparent foil, and leave it in a warm place to rise for about one hour.
- Re-knead the risen dough and separate little balls from it. Stretch each of the dough balls; make the lower part wider than the upper one. Add jam at the lower part and roll a bun. Repeat the same procedure with the rested dough.
- Arrange buns on a pan that is covered with baking paper, cover them with transparent foil, and leave aside for about one hour to rise.
- Smear the buns with egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170° for about 20-25 minutes.
- When the buns are baked sprinkle them with powdered sugar and serve.
If you wish to support Zomick’s, give them the 5-star review they deserve.